Little Shop of Horrors (Old Joint Stock Theatre)

Even though the performances of this cult musical (it rivals 'Rocky Horror' for me and many others !) are now sadly complete, I couldn't leave it without spreading some words of magic about what was a characterful production in the physically small yet imaginatively immense surroundings of the Old Joint Stock Theatre in Birmingham.

Skid Row has never been so full of incredible character performances, topped by the two called Audrey, in a tweet I suggested that Bella Bowen was sublime as the human Audrey, somewhat battered and scarred by her ill-judged relationship with a dentist (more of him later) and I could almost see that pain in her eyes and her nervous reaction to every interaction. Don't think I did Bella justice and I am not sure I have the word to describe how good this performance was (not even mentioning a super powerful vocal) but, let me try with magnificent, that seems to make the point I want to.

Matt Bond's human manifestation of the plant, Audrey II, is a little bit scary, a little bit physical, a little bit from another planet and dominates the stage at every opportunity, from the front row I was regularly concerned that I might get eaten myself if I even looked at him (or should I say 'it') in the wrong way.

Alex Wadham's downtrodden yet heroic Seymour has everybody rooting for him, will he get the girl, will he stop the floral world domination that he instigated, sadly not of curse he's just another victim but, he was so close, it's a crying shame as I can see him and Audrey watching 'I Love Lucy' (too young to remember that show then Google it !) even now.

Let's get back to the dentist, Orin Scrivello (er ..... DDS), nasty piece of work, who would trust anybody who wears a black leather jacket and rides a motorcycle, let alone beats up our heroine ? Bradley Walwyn with another masterful character performance somehow manages to convince that his profession is to blame and not him but, I feel all were still happy for him to become the first 'sticky, licky sweet' for Audrey II.

Thomas Cove's authentic Mr Mushnik taken from elation as his failing florist becomes a money machine down to our plant friend and of course those 'little red dots all over the linoleum' becomes another victim to the blood lust. Leaving only Crystal, Chiffon and Ronette (Tabitha Rose, Rebecca Withers and Hannah Victoria), three worthless ragamuffins with voices that belong in the West End or on Broadway.

It would be churlish not to mention Etheria Chan and Ben Hutt who cover a plethora of supporting roles and complete a stellar cast who under the direction of Adam Lacey will have everybody wishing for the next musical at this venue.

Web Site

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kipps - The New Half a Sixpence (Tinkers Farm Opera)

Calamity Jane (Cradley Heath Amateur Operatic Society)

Cats (Vic's School of Musical Theatre)